The Shimano Spheros 14000FA reel upgrade consists of 3 x carbon fibre drag washers that replace the felt washers in the drag assembly and a ball bearing that replaces a bushing in the right hand, handle side of the main drive unit.
The upgrade gives the reel a few more kg of drag pressure, it also makes the drag feel cleaner under heavy load and gives the handle a nicer feel.
The upgrade kit costs about $40 bucks and is available over the phone with a credit card from Dunphy Sports in Taren Point, NSW. A Stella handle is also available for around $70 bucks.
Phone: (02) 9526 2144
Here is the procedure if you want to upgrade the 14000FA yourself:
- Remove the drag knob
- Take the spool off the shaft and put it to the side
- Pull off the ratchet clicker and the washer that sit midway on the shaft
- Undo the rotor nut (clockwise) and the tiny retainer screw that holds the nut in place
- Pull off the rotor unit
- remove the thin/wide rubber seal on the drive mechanism
- Remove the handle - and handle screw on other side
- Undo the four screws on the outside casing
- When you try and open the casing you will see another thicker rubber seal
- I bent a bit of thin wire and hooked it around the seal while the gap was slightly open.
- Remove the seal
- The drive cover will now come apart easily
- On the inside you will see the main drive sprocket. Take this out and underneath will be a white bushing the same size as your new bearing.
- Grease up the bearing (slap it on) and put it where the bushing was.
- Discard the old bushing
- Put a shitload of inox grease in and around all moving parts and reassemble the drive unit EXACTLY as you pulled it apart.
- End of stage 1
- Grab the spool and undo the four tiny screws on the waterproof seal cover plate
- This is the hard part so be careful
- With a screwdriver (or something that can get down under the cover plate) You need to pry up the cover evenly.
- I have damaged the cover plate on both reels doing this but it doesn't affect the drag mechanism - just the waterproofing. These reels aren't 100% waterproof anyway so it doesn't matter.
- When you get the lip above the rim get some needlenose pliers and try to get the plate off.
- As soon as the plate is off, take out the drag mechanism.
- Wherever you see a felt washer, take it out and insert a greased carbon fiber washer in its place
- Give all other metal washers a coat of grease too
- In the tiny screwholes put in a big dab of grease and spread a film of grease around the whole area (this will make it easier to remove next time and keep salt away)
- Put the spool back on the shaft of the main drive carefully so all the drag washers line up straight.
- Line up the screw holes and put the waterproof cover back on. Tighten the screws and put a big dollop of grease in the centre hole to keep water out.
- You did it!!!!